Cape Vincent Community Library
Board of Trustees Meeting
July 15, 2021
Present: Elizabeth Bolton, President
Kathleen Pierce, Secretary
Excused: Mary Titus, Trustee
Carole Jinks, Vice President
Other: Amy Pond, Library Director
President Bolton called the Trustees’ meeting to order at 4:05 p.m.
The minutes of the June 17, 2021, meeting were approved on a motion by S. Connerton and seconded by E. Bolton (3-0).
Trustees reviewed the monthly Treasurer’s Report as of June 30, 2021. On a motion by K. Pierce seconded by S. Connerton, the Trustees accepted and approved the Treasurer’s report. All voting aye (3-0).
Director Pond reported on the following items:
- Building Report: updated the Trustees on the work performed by the Village DPW: the deck was power washed and the deck and furniture was sealed. The tree bench still needs to be sealed. To date no word about the electrical outlet on the deck being fixed. A work order form is being developed to submit to the DPW Supervisor for work to be done in the building or on the grounds was discussed. A rough draft was shared. Revisions were suggested and another draft will be shared at the August meeting.
- Projects: shared a handout of a list being created of building projects and/or improvements funded by grants or Library monies. The list goes back to 1997 to the present. The project list will be a good resource and time line for historical information and reports. Work is being done on a records retention document to be followed when cleaning out old files as to what files need to be kept and what can be destroyed. Talked about purchasing a fireproof file cabinet and where it would be placed. (After the discussion of the fireproof filing cabinet, the Trustees passed the following motion.)
E. Bolton made a motion to approve the purchase of a fireproof filing cabinet for the Library’s personnel files, minutes, and historical documents. Seconded by S. Connerton and carried; all voting aye. (3-0)
Advised Trustees that she was developing an IT time line for computers when purchased and to be replaced. The Library has eight computers and after discussion on replacement it was decided to plan to budget the replacement of two computers each year. The Director is working on: a Five-Year Plan to be posted on the website by December 2021 and a new requirement to post on the website the 2022 budget by December 2021. She informed the Trustees that the Teen Advocates have created 12 baskets for a silent auction to be held in August; the Sustainable Shelves Program has generated $500; and the new WordPress website is live.
- Statistics: Shared with Trustees the six-month figures for curbside and inside services: curbside 511; inside 1281. Public computer and wifi usage: public 211; wifi 901.
- Programs: Summer Reading Kick Off Week: 80 patrons picked up bags; 12 teens registered for events; 40 adults have been entered into the drawings as summer readers.
- Thank you note: A donation was received and a note will be sent to the donor.
Trustee Connerton suggested some revisions to the Standards developed by the Trustees. The Secretary will make the revisions and make copies available to all Trustees.
The next Trustees’ meeting is August 19, 2021, at 4 p.m. at the Library.
At 5 p.m., with no further business, S. Connerton made a motion to adjourn; seconded by E. Bolton and carried; all voting aye (3-0).
Kathleen M. Pierce